Watching my weight go DOWN!

Friday, January 22, 2010

No turning back now.

Yesterday I officially signed up and paid up for the triathlon...and it feels scary/intimidating/"ok, I am really doing this!!". I also went ahead and signed up for two 5ks just to get as much practice with that event as possible. The first one is next weekend in Columbia and the second one is on March 6, also in Columbia. The second one will be the best, not only because I will be more in shape, but because I somehow enticed my entire family to do it. Mom, Dad, brother, hopefully sister, and aunt are all signing up!! It's funny because in August for my friend Liz's Going-Away Navy weekend she signed us(The group of 7 or 8 girls staying with her) all up for a 5k...first thought.."Who would WANT to do this??"...haha, but now I understand. And I appreciate all of her efforts over the past 4 1/2 years to try to make me physically fit.

Everything here in town pretty much closed down early yesterday because of an ice storm. Therefore the gym was also closed. So tonight and this weekend, I will be trying to make up for some lost time. Tonight I will be doing cardio and weight training and tomorrow I will be lap swimming. I get so pumped to work out right before I do it, and then 2 minutes into it I realize just how out of shape I am. The rainbows and puppy dog tails fade away, and the reality of the hard work that needs to happen sets in. But I'm not jaded yet, and I pray that I won't feel that way at all during this whole process. 92 DAYS LEFT TO TRAIN.

I have been keeping my daily calorie count down to 1200 or below, and I surprisingly have not felt hungry. I am constantly eating apples, bannanas, oranges, and drinking tons of water.

I am feeling closer to God than I have in a long time. This race and level of physical fitness is something that I KNOW I cannot do without Him. My own will power has failed me time and time again and I am finally relying on Him to help me through this. Everyday I read an excerpt out of Oswald Chambers, "My Utmost for His Highest". Todays devotion convicted me of how often I turn to myself when things are going well, not giving Him the glory but instead taking pride in what "I" have done. But when things don't go how I expect them to, I find myself saying "why God?" and then, and only then, turing to Him. He is my Savior, My God, My Creator, My Lord, and My Everything. To Him Be All the Glory!! When I get through this and run across that finish line(God-Willing), it will be because of Him..not any strength that I have on my own.

I am copying it for you to read as well.


WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?


"Look unto Me, and be ye saved." Isaiah 45:22

Do we expect God to come to us with His blessings and save us? He says - Look unto Me, and be saved. The great difficulty spiritually is to concentrate on God, and it is His blessings that make it difficult. Troubles nearly always make us look to God; His blessings are apt to make us look elsewhere. The teaching of the Sermon on the Mount is, in effect - Narrow all your interests until the attitude of mind and heart and body is concentration on Jesus Christ. "Look unto Me."

Many of us have a mental conception of what a Christian should be, and the lives of the saints become a hindrance to our concentration on God. There is no salvation in this way, it is not simple enough. "Look unto Me" and - not "you will be saved," but "you are saved." The very thing we look for, we shall find if we will concentrate on Him. We get preoccupied and sulky with God, while all the time He is saying - "Look up and be saved." The difficulties and trials - the casting about in our minds as to what we shall do this summer, or to-morrow, all vanish when we look to God.

Rouse yourself up and look to God. Build your hope on Him. No matter if there are a hundred and one things that press, resolutely exclude them all and look to Him. "Look unto Me," and salvation is, the moment you look.

No comments:

Post a Comment