Watching my weight go DOWN!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Stop Wasting Your Life.

Today I am feeling refreshed. Refreshed because I am ALIVE. How often(everyday) do I take it for granted. The living Lord has given me breath this morning. Today, I can make good choices instead of bad ones. Today I can serve others and not myself. Today I can uplift the people around me. Today I can love the Lord my God with ALL of my heart, and not just part of my heart because it is "easier". Today is a GIFT. SO many times do I find myself wishing for the future. Wishing for vacation..living for the weekend! Just by reading my blog titles you can see how much that is true. I am not guranteed tomorrow, or even the next minute or hour. So who am I to not give EVERYTHING that I am into today. To truly perform my best in all I do, love others, and most of all, Love My Savior. Procrastination has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. To be honest, I have never been convicted of procrastination until this moment. Putting people, work, exercise, and time with the Lord off just because I don't "feel" like it...aka laziness...is a sin. I suck up precious time I could be spending with others, or preparing my body to be the temple it was built to be by watching tv, sleeping, or being on the internet. It's all sin, and it literally causes me to waste my life. My sinful nature is telling me I am being over zealous right now. That I should delete all of this because it will offend someone or someone will disagree with it. But Jesus has a funny way of doing that. Offending people. Telling us what we dont want to hear. He has cut my heart into pieces this morning in a way that only He can. I challenge all of you to look at your schedules. What are you spending most of your time doing!? Most of us here have a goal to lose pounds, inches, and get in shape. Is this a bad thing? Absolutely not! In fact, it takes a lot of self control and self discipline. But let us keep it in check. It takes dedication to lose weight, but it takes even more effort to keep up relationships with our friends and family. When we die, nobody is going to care about our diets or how fast we could run--but they WILL remember the effort we put into their lives. They will remember our dedication to the Lord. And with God, we can achieve a healthy balance to our work outs, relationships, and LIFE. Let us LIVE every day because it is a gift. Glorifying the Lord in all the what do. In our words, thoughts, and actions. Let us not wish for tomorrow but put hope into today!! WE ARE ALIVE!!!

The following is a blog entry I came across this morning. It has truly convicted my heart. Any comments, questions, whatever are certainly welcome :)

We’re Losing More Than Time

"Sometimes a whole day can slip by and nothing gets accomplished. Often it’s 15 minutes here, a half-hour there, 20 minutes here, an hour there, and suddenly you’re wondering where the day went.

For some people wasting time is a source of guilt (I would fall into the “heavy guilt” category), for others it’s a way of life. Nevertheless, we are commanded by God to be wise stewards of our time. Ephesians 5:15-16 says, “Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil.”

Our culture tries hard to distract us from our responsibilities. In a certain sense they don’t want us to be responsible to anyone but them and their products! According to a study released by Forbes Magazine the typical television viewer fritters away three years of his life being bombarded with commercials.

Studies like that make us mad. How dare they suck away our precious years in an attempt to get our money?!? Unfortunately, there are millions of little distractions fighting for things much more valuable than our money — they’re fighting for our character and competence.

They might seem harmless — the book we’ve already read, the online forum or message board where we “reach out,” the 5-minute video we found online, the new World Magazine comic section, the video game that’s fun and clean, a review of the latest star-studded flick, or that article on Google News about the kitten with two heads.

Harmless? Not at all. The price is the character that might have been and the competence that would have been. If we were to devote all the time we spend reading random news stories online to reading life-changing, soul-feeding books, how might our relationship with Christ flourish?

If we were to devote all the time we spend watching television to developing our talents in the areas of writing, speaking, musical instruments, filmmaking, painting, sewing, gardening, woodworking, web design, landscaping, computer programming, etc. how much more effective might we be in the Kingdom of God?

When we watch some “cool” video online we’ve lost more than just 10 minutes of time. We’ve lost every good thing we might have done with those 10 minutes.

When God’s Word tells us to “make the most of our time” it means: “Squeeze every last ounce of growth and grace out of every second of every minute of every hour of every day!”

Acceptable “Time-Wasters”
It is never acceptable to waste time. However, we also must be wise in determining what is “wasted time” and what is simple “character-building time.” For example, I am sometimes tempted to get stressed about “wasting time” with my family. Perhaps I’m taking my little brother James for a walk, and I think “Aaaaaahh!!! This is 15 minutes of my day that is not whole-heartedly pursuing growth!!!” (OK, that isn’t exactly what I think.)

This stress also tends to hit during my devotions. I’m reading my Bible and this voice in my head starts reading off my ToDo List for the day: “OK Brett, today you need to redesign the conference poster, mail the brochures to Jennifer, write a blog post, read a chapter in the 5 different books you’re reading, write two lab reports for science class, finish your “big question” essay project, practice the piano, AND on top of that, mom probably has 10 huge chores for you to do!! Hahahahaha!!!!” (This voice is very annoying)

The truth is that these two areas (i.e. God and family), require a rare kind of character and competence that Satan hates. Time spent serving our family or seeking the Lord is never wasted. Guilt or frustration due to time spent in these areas is misplaced — placed by the enemy."


For more go to : http://www.therebelution.com/blog/2006/02/stop-wasting-time/

3 comments:

  1. Twinkie,
    What I think is great is that God, of course, has convicted my life of all of the same things! If you read my last few blogs, you will find almost every bit of what you have written! CRAZY! Thank you for the much needed reminder. Good news....God's mercies are new every morning! Yesterday is gone, but today is here! Let's choose to LIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you are having a lot of the convictions that I am right now. There has to be a balance, and God and family come first! If we get that straight, everything else will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Yes, it does offend some people to even utter the name Jesus. I'm glad you posted anyway!!

    There have been days when I realize that I haven't done a devotion or read my Bible for several days, but I've surfed the web, talked to a friend, and watched the tube. Priorities and balance are key.

    ReplyDelete